- After regrouping with the rest of the party, Aerith, Miriel, Neiriel, and Varia head towards the Lord Mayor’s Tower to seek an audience with Lady Zimeria Marwood. They are initially rebuffed and told that the Hill’s Edge city council is in session and is not to be disturbed. Varia insists, and they walk into the chamber. She is briefly admonished by her mother, Lady Zimeria. Varia then proceeds to introduce Neiriel Nightsong to her mother as a representative from Hardbuckler.
- The Hill’s Edge city council murmurs their displeasure at Neiriel’s presence and one council member shouts for an immediate call to have Neiriel thrown in chains. That council member immediately bursts into flames and dies as Lady Marwood spontaneously combusts him for his impertinence at interrupting a conversation between herself and her daughter. Aerith, Miriel, Neiriel, and Varia leave the chamber without further discussion.
- The party decides their best course of action is to infiltrate the Foundry where the gnome prisoners are being held, and to rescue them using a food riot as a distraction as they teleport them to safety. Varia pretends to take Toggel in as a new prisoner, and the party moves into position around the Foundry. Master Radigger Ozdrake and Knight-Captain Maganti Gortho are there, as well as two general population human prisoners acting as guards for the gnomes.
- Toggel and Miriel successfully fool everyone into thinking that he is successfully “collared” and use the opportunity to discover how to unlock and disarm the control collars. Miriel uses magic on Radigger to get him to reveal the secret bracelet that is used to control the collars and how to disarm them. At that moment, there is a rumbling outside the Foundry and Captain Maganti goes to investigate … only to be struck by Aerith.
- But Aerith only strikes air, as Captain Maganti was an illusion! Aerith then proceeds to attack Knight-Commander Varia, and she goes down pretending to be stunned by the blow. The assault party (Arcturus, Aerith, Toggel, Neiriel) then proceeds to take out the guards and Master Radigger’s mechanical servant, Professor Whiskers, while the illusion of Captain Maganti observers somewhat bemused.
- Aerith drops magical darkness on the area, allowing Miriel to secretly grab the collar control bracelet from Radiggers work desk unseen. Once that was secure, the assault team shouted for the gnomes to escape. At that moment, the illusion of Captain Maganti appears and drops two fireballs in the room on Arcturus and Neiriel respectively.
- Keeping up appearances, Knight-Commander Varia attacks Aerith with her brother’s black obsidian blade, Malachi. Though well-meaning, the act of striking an ally with the sword attunes Varia to the sinister blade as Aerith’s blood drips from it.
- Arcturus dispels whatever magic Captain Maganti was using to create his illusionary duplicate, revealing his true location. Captain Maganti, still believing Miriel to be on his side, covers her escape through one of the doors while Master Toggel and Master Radigger engage in a long overdue shootout in the Foundry.
- Meanwhile, in the streets not far from the Foundry, Mizugo and Nakoma are gathering and feeding scores of the city’s hungriest citizens just as Silent Knight patrols begin to to descend on the sounds of explosions, thunderous gunfire, and gnomish laughter coming from the Foundry.